South Jersey Garbage Disposal Repair or Installation Services
Is your garbage disposal acting up? Or worse, is it broken, leaking or clogged? Let the skilled and dependable plumbers at Hess Plumbing repair your garbage disposal!
Call your South Jersey garbage disposal specialists at (856) 889-0500 for the best garbage disposal repair, replacement or installation services in the Camden County, Burlington County, Gloucester County, Atlantic County and Cape May County area!
What is a Garbage Disposal?
A garbage disposal is probably the most convenient appliance in a modern kitchen, but also the least understood. So exactly what is a garbage disposal? It is a simple electric motorized unit that is attached directly to your sink to grind food waste and water down until it’s small enough to safely and easily pass through your drains. A properly functioning garbage disposer, that is used correctly, can help reduce clogs and assists in keeping your drains clear. Your garbage disposal also helps prevent unpleasant odors in your trash can. Unfortunately, when your garbage disposal starts to fail, your kitchen sink may also clog from the unground food. If this is taking place in your kitchen, call the best plumbers in South Jersey at (856) 889-0500 to repair your garbage disposer and we will be on our way!
To ask Jack a question or to make an appointment that fits into your schedule, fill out the customer request form at the right or call (856) 889-0500.
What are the most common Garbage Disposal Problems?
Smelly garbage disposal: Sometimes, no matter how delicious the food you prepare is, your garbage disposal could still smell awful. The good news is that it’s not your fault and it’s easy to fix. One way to remedy a smelly garbage disposal is to grind lemon or orange peels. Another cure for a stinky garbage disposer is to plug up your sink, fill it with 2-3 inches of water and ¼ cup of baking soda, then release it and run the garbage disposal. This will rinse your garbage disposal out and help remove the bad odor.
Leaking garbage disposal: A leaking garbage disposal is a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. In addition to being an unsanitary mess, if not attended to promptly, it could attract ants, roaches and other pests. There a couple reasons why your garbage disposal could be leaking. First, the vibration of a garbage disposal can loosen the screws that attach the flange to the sink and cause it to leak. Also, a leak may occur if the gasket between the sink and the grinding ring of the garbage disposer unit is damaged or cracked. It may even be that the clamp that connects the dishwasher hose to the garbage disposal is loose or damaged. Or it may not be the garbage disposal at all. It may be the pipe connecting the sink to the garbage disposal. If that pipe is cracked or broken, it can cause the disposal to leak and will need to be repaired or replaced.
Jammed garbage disposal: A jammed garbage disposal is usually caused by food, or any item that may have slipped into your disposer. This food or item becomes wedged in the grinding ring and impellers, preventing them from rotating. This may also lead to a clogged drain because the food that is not shred properly can build up in your drain pipes.
Clogged garbage disposal: A garbage disposal clog may be the result of not running enough water to wash away the food that you have ground up or the result of putting too much food waste in the garbage disposer all at once. In order to prevent this you should get into the practice of turning on your water before, during and after you use your garbage disposal while putting the food waste in gradually. Likewise, if your garbage disposer is not working properly and food waste is not being ground down enough, it could build up in your pipes and cause a clog. If you have water backed up in your sink, sometimes it’s not that your garbage disposal isn’t working, it’s that you have a clog in a pipe passed the disposer and nothings moving. In this case, you will need to remove the clog in the water pipe.
Burnt out motor of your garbage disposal: After years of use, the garbage disposal’s motor may simply burn out and stop working. Grinding fibrous foods like celery, corn husks and onion peels can also cause the garbage disposals motor to burn out because the fibers can get wrapped around the blades.
Regardless of the reason why your garbage disposal is broken, you can count on Hess Plumbing to repair it fast and correctly. Our experienced plumbers have been repairing garbage disposals in homes and businesses all over South Jersey for many years.
How can you prevent Garbage Disposal repair problems?
The best way to avoid garbage disposal repairs is to maintain your garbage disposal.
The following are Hess Plumbing’s Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips:
• Always run cold water while your garbage disposal is turned on. After grinding is complete, turn off your garbage disposal and leave the cold water run for an additional 15 seconds to push the ground up waste particles down the drain.
• Only put food in your garbage disposal. Never put non-food items like metal, wood, plastic, glass, rubber or paper in your food disposer.
• Run your garbage disposal regularly to avoid rust from developing in the unit and to ward off clogged drains.
• Grinding ice cubes in your garbage disposal will remove any built up sludge and help keep the unit clean.
• To prevent clogs, do not overfill your garbage disposal. Only place small amounts of food into the disposal at a time.
• Do not pour grease, fat, oil or coffee grounds into your garbage disposal or drain because they can form a clog.
• Do not attempt to grind fibrous foods like celery, corn husks, banana peels, onion peels or artichokes because they can tangle and jam your garbage disposal and block your drain.
• Avoid putting foods in your garbage disposal and drain that expand with water like pasta, rice and oatmeal.
• Do not put bleach, drain cleaner or any other chemicals into your food disposer unit.
Have you always wanted a Garbage Disposal in your kitchen?
Having a garbage disposer in your kitchen is not only a convenience, it is environmentally friendly and it can reduce damage to your pipes. As a matter of fact, a properly functioning garbage disposal, used correctly, can help reduce clogs as well. Call Hess Plumbing today at (856) 889-0500 and one of our skillful plumbers can install a new garbage disposer for you in no time at all.
Lists of common garbage disposal needs:
- Garbage Disposal repair
- Garbage Disposal installation
- Garbage Disposal replacement
- Garbage Disposer repair
- Garbage Disposer replacement
- Garbage Disposer installation
- Food Disposer repair
- Food Disposer replacement
- Food Disposer installation
Having a problem with your garbage disposer? Call us today at (856) 889-0500 and we will be on the way!